Allergy Questions & Answers
Allergies are on the rise all around the globe, including in Thailand. They occur when our immune system reacts to allergic substances in the environment. Different people may be allergic to different substances. On the other hand, the same allergic substance may cause different allergic symptoms at different degree of severity.
According to the researches, dust mite is considered as the significant factor contributing to the dramatic increase in respiratory allergies in Thailand.
The symptoms of allergies are varied among individuals, ranging from itchy eyes, runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing, breathing difficulties, asthma. Some possible symptoms of allergies are:
- Skin rash, hives, itchy skin.
- Stuffy nose, runny nose, sneezing
- Wheezing, cough, asthma.
- Swelling around the mouth, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Heredity: Children who born to the family that has allergic background will take higher risk, approximately 50-60%, of developing allergy.
- Food: Nowadays many children are less breastfed and rely on milk powder. Moreover, many of children and adolescences tend to consume fast food. These foods are high in energy, but low in nutrients, thus these eating behaviors may weaken their own immune system.
- Environment: Environment is contaminated with a lot of dust, dust mites, smoke, and pollution from industry, traffics, pollen and carpel. These environmental factors cause allergy to not only children, but also adults and elderly people.
- Poor immune system
- Insomnia and fatigue
- Less concentrate on studying or working
- Drowsiness throughout the day
- Lose body relief hormone (Growth Hormone) which make you look younger. By balancing the various systems within the body, growth hormone helps repair all of cells. So if hormone deficiency, the skin will easily wrinkled. For the kids, they cannot grow as they can be
Why do people living in the city increasingly get allergy every year?
- Pollution in city from industry, cars and smoke.
- Less rest time, no time for exercise
- Dining out, cannot get nutrient enough and also get preservative which make our body weakened.
- Home decoration, air-conditioned, carpet, poorly ventilated.
Which age is the allergy commonly found?
Allergy is mostly found in children, aged 1 – 8 years old, due to low level of immunity. It is also common in elderly people, aged over 55 years old, as their immune systems are declined.
Can allergy be cured?
Allergy cannot be permanently cured. However, we can prevent the symptoms to appear by avoiding the allergens. When you face the stimulus, the symptoms will reoccur again.
Why do allergic systems usually appear in the morning?
Most of allergens are found in your mattress and pillows. During 8-10 hours of sleeping, we breathe and allow allergens to get into the body. Therefore, the symptoms occurs after you wake up.
How can we protect ourselves?
The best way to prevent allergy is to avoid allergens. If you know you allergic to seafood, so you should avoid to eating seafood. If you know you allergic to dust, so you should avoid dust and dust-mites. The key to healthy life is eating nutritious foods, adequate sleep, cleaning the house especially “mattress”.